The Transportation Department is responsible for a broad range of transportation services, which include traffic signs and signals, transportation planning, transportation demand management, parking operations, street lighting, taxicab administration and bicycle and pedestrian planning.
The department works to increase transportation choices as well as local and regional connectivity by planning for and securing funds for highways, public transportation, and bicycle and pedestrian improvements. As guided by the City’s Strategic Plan, the City’s Transportation Department helps to strengthen the foundation, enhance the value, and improve the quality and sustainability of neighborhoods that are necessary for a strong and diverse community. The provision of a sound transportation system is critical to maintaining a strong economy.
Current News and Projects
Department Divisions and Staff - Staff Directory
- Business Services
- Sign Shop/Signal Shop
- Traffic Operations
- Transit, Parking, and Passenger Vehicle for Hire
- Transportation Planning
- Transportation Technical Services
Other Department Partners
- GoDurham - the City of Durham’s public transportation provider
- GoDurham ACCESS - ADA paratransit services for persons with disabilities
- DCHC Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) - the regional planning body that plays a large role in funding, expanding, and improving transportation infrastructure in Durham as well as other communities in the region
- a member organization that is involved with several regional programs, including transportation planning, development and land use, housing affordability, water resource planning, disaster recovery and resilience, and economic development coordination.
- Development Services Center - a collaboration of multiple city departments to coordinate the development review process, including Transportation Services