City Attorney's Office
Appointed by City Council, the City Attorney is the lead attorney for the City, providing legal counsel and representation to the City Council, City Manager, City government departments, and City-appointed boards and commissions.
The office staff provides legal advice at council meetings, performs legal research, offers advisory opinions and responds to requests from council and City staff to draft or review contracts, ordinances and other legal documents. The office represents the City in litigation and provides assistance to the Risk Management Office to retain outside counsel when needed.
THE CITY ATTORNEY’S OFFICE DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE TO PRIVATE CITIZENS, ON PERSONAL OR CITY BUSINESS.
STRATEGIC PLAN GOAL
The office supports the City’s Strategic Plan goal of innovative and high performing organization by providing superior quality legal advice and counsel to City Council and City administration in a timely and efficient manner.
For your convenience, various legal resources on the internet are linked to this website.
- Durham City Charters and Codes
- Durham District Attorney's Office http://www.ncdistrictattorney.org/14/home.html
- Administrative Office of Courts https://www.nccourts.gov/locations/durham-county/durham-county-courthouse
- School of Government https://www.sog.unc.edu/
- NC Attorney General https://ncdoj.gov/
- NC Court of Appeals https://www.nccourts.gov/courts/court-of-appeals
- NC General Assembly https://www.ncleg.gov/
- NC General Statutes https://www.ncleg.gov/Laws/GeneralStatutes
- NC Carolina Supreme Court https://www.nccourts.gov/courts/supreme-court