City-County Inspections Department
The City-County Inspections Department provides permit, plan review, and inspection services for the City and County of Durham. These services ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public through administration and enforcement of the North Carolina State Building Code and the zoning ordinances for both the City and County.
City-County Inspections Services
- Conducting inspections of building projects in progress
- Issuing Certificates of Compliance
- Providing information on requirements for manufactured homes, family care homes, day care facilities, floodplain management, and impact fees
- Reviewing applications for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Fire Permits
- Reviewing permits for construction activity
- Reviewing plans
The department supports the City’s Strategic Plan goals of a Shared Economic Prosperity, Creating a Safer Community Together, Connected, Engaged, and Diverse Communities and Innovative & High Performing Organization, as well as the County’s Strategic Plan goals of Environmental Stewardship and Community Prosperity and Safe Community.
- Building Permit
- Electrical Permit (PDF)
- Mechanical Permit
- Plumbing Permit
- Multi-Trade Permit
- Temporary Power Permit
- Stocking Permit
- Partial Occupancy Permit
- Building Inspection Requirements - required inspections for Single Family Residences, Duplexes, and Townhouses.
- Who’s my inspector today? This link is for Building Inspectors only. For Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical, please use the LDO system.
- Informal Internal Review (PDF) - Per G.S. 160A-412 and G.S. 153A-352, a form for requesting an informal internal review of inspections decisions is available in our office or online. Please submit completed forms to the Chief or Field Supervisor of that trade. For more information on the internal review process, please call our main number at 919-560-4144.
The Land Development Office (LDO) system allows contractors to complete permit and inspection tasks online.
Go here to:
- Schedule inspections
- Check status of plans review or building permits
- Apply for mechanical, plumbing, and electrical permits
- Pay fees online
Dplans is a website for digital plan submission. All commercial and residential plan reviews should be submitted through this site.
Go here to:
- Submit commercial or residential plans for review
The Development Services Center (DSC) is a one-stop-shop for Durham City and County development services.
Go here for:
- Planning Department Services
- Public Works Services
- Cross Connection Services
- Transportation Department Services
- Engineering Department Services