Mobile Homes (Manufactured Housing)

Where to Place a Mobile Home

Mobile homes are only allowed in the rural tier (RR) and in established mobile home parks.

Restrictions on Size & Age of Mobile Homes

The Unified Development Ordinance classifies mobile homes into 2 groups: Classes A and B.

Class A

Class A mobile homes are essentially double-wide. The length must not exceed 4 times the width. The home must have been manufactured after July 1, 1976. In addition, it must have horizontal siding, a pitched roof with shingles and have masonry underpinning. See Article V, Section 5.3.2.D.1 of the Unified Development Ordinance.

Class B

Class B mobile homes are essentially single-wide. The home must have been manufactured after July 1, 1976. There are no restrictions regarding siding and roof design. Masonry underpinning is not required although skirting must be provided and be of a durable material that includes, but is not limited to, vinyl and masonry.

Special Requirements

Both Class A and Class B mobile homes are allowed on lots within an RR zone. If the lot does not meet minimum standards for lots in an RR zone, special approval may be required. Check with Planning Department at 919-560-4137 for information.

Documents Required to Secure a Permit

  • A plot plan showing the location of the mobile home: The Rural Tier requires a minimum front setback of 50 feet. If you are unsure of the location of your property line, a survey is recommended prior to placement of the home.
  • A floor plan of the mobile home, the set-up instructions, and an elevation of the home should be provided by the mobile home dealer. If no dealer is involved, you may prepare the documents by either drawings or photos. Be sure to include the date of manufacture.
  • If your lot is not served by municipal water and/or sewer, an improvements authorization is required for the well and septic system. Contact the Durham County Health Department at 919-560-7800 for further information.
  • A completed building permit application: There are special packages available in the Inspections Department for mobile homes. The licensed dealer or set-up contractor must apply for the permit. Only under special circumstances will a building permit be issued to the homeowner.
  • Foundation vent calculations are required for units which have masonry underpinning: Provide the number, size and spacing of the vents. Also provide a cross section of the underpinning that shows the depth of footing and size of underpinning material.
All applications must be completed and submitted, along with the required drawings, before the building permit will be issued.

After Permit is Issued

The dealer/set-up contractor calls for the building inspection. The plumbing, electrical and mechanical contractors must call for their inspections. The health department must approve the well and septic installation.

Once the building permit has been issued, the trade contractors (Plumbing, Electrical, and Mechanical) must apply for their trade permits online.

A survey will be required after the unit is set, and before the final sign-off is approved. Mobile homes located in mobile home parks are not required to have surveys.

After Inspections are Completed

The power company will not connect the power until they are notified by the Inspections Department. This will be done after there is a final approved inspection for building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and any other required sign-off.

Other Requirements

For any mobile home installed on its own individual lot and located within the city limits, a development impact fee may be required. Refer to the Impact Fee section.