Durham Planning Academy
About The Durham Planning Academy
The Planning Academy is an opportunity to learn more about how the planning process works in Durham, how to use available planning tools, and how to equitably engage in planning work. We want to uplift learning and teaching with an emphasis on supporting marginalized communities. Whether you’re a resident, community leader, subject expert, young person, or someone who wants to learn more about Planning, the Planning Academy is for you! The sessions will provide tools and skills to help navigate the planning processes, learn more about development and how it is regulated in North Carolina, and further understand the history of planning in Durham.
As the Comprehensive Plan nears adoption and work is beginning on new development regulations, Planning staff is relaunching Planning Academy to help community members learn more about how planning works in Durham and how to have a greater impact on it!
The Fall 2023 Planning Academy Applications are open!
The Durham City-County Planning Department is excited to announce that we are taking applications for our 2023 Planning Academy. This is a FREE, five-week interactive course that aims to empower and provide residents with the tools and knowledge they need to participate in planning processes.
How To Apply:
The Planning Academy Application can be accessed here. You don’t want to miss out on a great learning opportunity that can help you in the future. Be sure to apply as soon as possible!
- Application Deadline: September 28
- Application Review Period: September 29 - October 5
- Applicants Notified By: October 5
- Number of Accepted Applicants: 30
- The application selection will be based on criteria created by the Durham City- County Planning Department’s Planning4Equity Team that prioritizes marginalized groups, equity, accessibility, and inclusivity. The department is also working to make the Planning Academy content available digitally for any resident to access at any time.
What To Expect:
- Interactive Workshop Sessions: We will aim to empower community residents to shape the future of their neighborhoods and Durham by building an understanding of local urban planning and design processes. These will be facilitated by staff and community experts and designed to provide you with an interactive learning experience.
- Time Commitment: It will consist of four two-hour sessions, and a fifth closing ceremony at the end of the academy. The sessions will include a meal, childcare, and transportation options.
- Networking Opportunities: Residents will be able to connect with community experts, leaders, and Planning staff throughout the sessions, building relationships and access for engagement after the academy has concluded.
- Growth: We are committed to providing attendees with skill development, knowledge, and connections that will help support you as you navigate the field of Planning.
- Relationship- Building: We welcome community involvement, engagement, and relationship- building that supports learners and educators who want to grow in a supportive, safe, and encouraging spaces.
- Toolkit: You will leave with a toolkit that helps you navigate planning processes and empower you to be engaged in the development process.
|North Carolina State Laws & Local Regulations: What can we do? Why can we do it? Why can’t we do it?|
For additional support and questions please contact: Amber Igodan ator Lisa Miller at
Can’t make it, but want to stay involved in planning Durham’s future? Find out how you can get involved in projects that interest you by signing up for the Planning Public Notification Service.