Pools and Spas

A building permit is required for swimming pools. The permit application must reflect all current zoning and building code requirements. An electrical permit must be obtained by a licensed electrician for all swimming pools. If it is a public or commercial pool, such as a clubhouse, apartment complex, etc., the Durham County Health Department must be contacted to obtain their approval prior to beginning the project. These requirements and regulations apply to both in-ground and above-ground pools.

Unified Development Ordinance

There are specific requirements in the Unified Development Ordinance such as landscaping, setbacks, fence opacity, etc. Please refer to the City-County Planning Department’s website for all of the Unified Development Ordinance requirements.

Helpful Downloads