- Departments & Offices A-E
- Communications Department
- Durham Neighborhood College
- Durham Neighborhood College 2019
Durham Neighborhood College 2019
Welcome to the 2019 Durham Neighborhood College. This website is a resource where you can find the schedule, course materials, and other information related to the program.
Schedule & Overview
- Classes will be held on seven Thursday nights starting September 12 through October 24 from 6-8:30 p.m. (Class dates: Sept. 12, 19, 26 and Oct. 3, 10, 17, 24).
- Invitation to attend a County Commissioners Meeting on Monday, Sept. 23 and a City Council meeting on Monday, Oct. 7.
- A light meal is served prior to the start of each class.
- View the detailed schedule (PDF). Find course materials below.
The first six sessions will be held at (Sept. 12, 19, 26 and Oct. 3, 10, 17):
Durham County Administration II Building, 201 E. Main St., Room 461, Durham, NC 27701
The final session will be held at (Oct. 24):
City Hall Lobby and Council Chambers, 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, NC 27701
2019 Course Overview
Durham Neighborhood College is designed to give you an introduction to many aspects of City and County government through a combination of presentations, activities, and discussions.
Once course materials are available, you will be able to access them below. In order to conserve resources, we no longer provide printed copies.
Session 1 Materials:
- Session 1 Intro Slides (PDF)
- Participant introductions
- Greetings from Mayor Steve Schewel and Chair Wendy Jacobs
- County Overview Presentation (PDF) by General Manager Claudia Hager
- City Overview Presentation (PDF)by Deputy City Manager Wanda Page
- City and County Overview Q&A Panel video recording on YouTube
Session 2 Materials:
Session 3 Materials:
- Session 3 Intro Slides (PDF)
- Durham County Department of Public Health presentation (PDF)
- City of Durham Parks & Recreation presentation (PDF)
- Durham County Department of Social Services presentation (PDF)
- Health & Well-Being Q&A Panel video recording on YouTube
- Durham County Library Durham history presentation (PDF)
Session 4 Materials:
- Session 4 Intro Slides (PDF)
- City of Durham Police presentation (PDF)
- Durham City/County Emergency Services presentation (PDF)
- City of Durham Emergency Communications Center (911) presentation (PDF)
- Public Safety Q&A Panel video recording on YouTube
- Durham County Emergency Medical Services Training Center tour
- Public Safety Follow Up Questions (PDF)
Session 5 Materials:
Session 6 Materials:
- Session 6 Intro Slides (PDF)
- Durham County Board of Elections presentation (PDF)
- City of Durham Neighborhood Improvement Services presentation (PDF)
- Durham County Veteran Services presentation (PDF)
- Civic Engagement Q&A Panel video recording on YouTube
- Neighborhood College reflection session
Session 7 Materials:
- Engagement Fair - learn about opportunities to engage with the City and County
- Graduation and dinner
Click or call 919-560-1200