Lakewood Avenue Sanitary Sewer Replacement project
- This project will replace and upsize an existing sanitary sewer line along Lakewood Avenue from Duke Street to Roxboro Street.
- Approximately 2,000 linear feet of 12-inch to 18-inch sanitary sewer will be replaced with 24-inch sanitary sewer. The project also includes limited waterline replacements.
- Construction is expected to begin in May 2023.
- Stay up to date on this and other Water Management projects by subscribing to City news flashes here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is this work needed, what is included, how much will it cost, and how long will it take?
This project will replace undersized sanitary sewer lines along the project area to meet near-term and long-term sanitary sewer flow projections. Approximately 2,000 feet of sewer lines along Lakewood Avenue between Duke Street and Roxboro Street will be replaced. Also, sanitary sewer service connections along this corridor will be reconnected to the new sewer line. The project will be paid for by previously authorized capital improvement program (CIP) funds. Sanitary sewer construction is anticipated to last approximately 12 months.
- What impacts can be expected during the Study/Design phase of the project?
- Field survey of the existing utilities in the project area.
- Non-toxic temporary paint will be used to mark the location of buried utilities in the project area. The temporary paint will wash away in several weeks depending on rain, traffic, etc.
- Localized “Level A SUE” and geotechnical borings will be required to obtain information about existing utility locations and geotechnical conditions.
- Sound levels associated with localized borings are anticipated to be between 70 and 90 decibels.
- Pedestrian and traffic impacts within the project limits are expected to be limited.
- Small pavement cuts may be required and will be temporarily patched.
- Work of this nature will be conducted within daytime hours. If “off hours” work is required advance notice shall be provided.
- What are geotechnical borings and Level A SUE?
Subcontractors for the City of Durham will be performing subsurface investigations throughout the project area to locate existing buried utilities and determine soil properties. This information will be used to avoid conflicts with existing utilities during the design and construction phases, in addition to allowing the contractor to prepare for anticipated soil conditions during construction. Lane closures lasting several hours will be used at each of the subsurface investigation locations throughout the project area. Small amounts of soil will be removed via an auger or vacuum to complete the investigation, followed by repairing the excavation.
- Will my business/property be impacted during the construction phase of this project?
- Construction will not occur on private properties. All construction will be within rights-of-way or utility easements. All property owners will be provided notice in advance of construction near their property.
- There will be pedestrian, traffic, and noise impacts during construction.
- The City’s contractor will be required to maintain access to residences and businesses at all times.
- Sound levels near active construction areas are anticipated to be between 70 and 90 decibels, with some work in high traffic areas occurring during overnight and weekend hours.
- Appropriate communication and signage will direct property owners, residents, and visitors to the Lakewood Avenue and Downtown Durham areas with regards to any impacts throughout construction.
- At the completion of the project, disturbed areas along roadways and sidewalks will be repaved, and lawns will be graded and reseeded.
How will I know about detours, changes in traffic patterns, etc.?
In addition to other notifications, look for signs. We'll have them out to help give direction to property owners, residents, and visitors in the Lakewood Avenue and Downtown Durham areas. These signs will indicate detours, changes in traffic patterns, and access issues around the construction. Disturbed areas along roadways and sidewalks will be repaved, and lawns will be graded and reseeded at the end of the project.
Will my sanitary sewer service be affected by this project?
Once the project enters the construction phase, existing sanitary sewer services in the project area will be reconnected to the newly installed sewer mains. It is possible that customers will have short sanitary sewer service interruptions (typically a few hours) while this transition takes place. Property owners will be notified in advance regarding any planned service disruptions.
How do I get more information?
The City will provide status updates via the City website Project www.durhamnc.gov/3976 or https://durhamnc.gov/3976/Lakewood-Avenue-Sewer-Replacement-Projec. You may also contact the project contacts listed above.