Start Water Service
Whether you are new to Durham or changing locations, starting your water/sewer service is a simple process if you follow these steps.
STEP 1: gather your required documents
If You Recently Purchased a Property, Have These Documents Ready:
If You Are Renting or Leasing, Have These Documents Ready:
- Past Due Balances must be paid prior to starting service at a new location.
- If you are unsure if you owe a balance, you can contact Customer Billing Services at 919-560-1200, Option 2, and provide your previous service location so that we may review your records.
- Allow 3-5 days for processing time.
STEP 2: Complete the online application with your documents attached
- We cannot complete your request without the requested information. Failure to submit the required documents will delay your processing time.
STEP 3: monitor your email for updates
- If any additional information is needed to complete your request, we will email you at the email address you provided.
- Once your request is complete we will email you with your 12-digit account number for your records.
WHAT TO EXPECT with your first bill
- A Service Initiation Fee of $50 will appear on your first bill to cover administrative and service costs.
- The City also requires a Deposit for initial connection of water and sewer services. Visit our Deposit & Disconnection for more information on the cost of the deposit.
- Please note the 12-digit Account Number on the water bill. The first six digits are unique to you and the last six digits are related to the property address. Utilize this 12-digit account number on our Online Customer Portal to make payments, view your bills, sign up for e-billing, and even text-to-pay options. The portal will not be accessible until your first bill is generated.
To check the progress of an online request, call 919-560-1200.