Start Water Service
Whether you are new to Durham or changing locations, starting your water/sewer service is a simple process if you follow these steps.
To stop your water service, see the link at the bottom of this page.
STEP 1: gather your required documents
If You Recently Purchased a Property, Have These Documents Ready:
If You Are Renting or Leasing, Have These Documents Ready:
- Past Due Balances must be paid prior to starting service at a new location.
- If you are unsure if you owe a balance, you can contact Customer Billing Services at 919-560-1200, Option 2, and provide your previous service location so that we may review your records.
- Allow 3-5 days for processing time.
STEP 2: Complete the online application with your documents attached
- We cannot complete your request without the requested information. Failure to submit the required documents will delay your processing time.
STEP 3: monitor your email for updates
- If any additional information is needed to complete your request, we will email you at the email address you provided.
- Once your request is complete we will email you with your 12-digit account number for your records.
WHAT TO EXPECT with your first bill
- A Service Initiation Fee of $50 will appear on your first bill to cover administrative and service costs.
- The City also requires a Deposit for initial connection of water and sewer services. Visit our Deposit & Disconnection for more information on the cost of the deposit.
- Please note the 12-digit Account Number on the water bill. The first six digits are unique to you and the last six digits are related to the property address. Utilize this 12-digit account number on our Online Customer Portal to make payments, view your bills, sign up for e-billing, and even text-to-pay options. The portal will not be accessible until your first bill is generated.
Click here to Start Your Water Service Request
CLICK HERE TO Stop YOUR WATER SERVICE REQUEST
To check the progress of an online request, call 919-560-1200.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for information about online billing.
Click or call 919-560-1200