Report a Problem

immediately Call 919-560-4344 to REPORT water main breaks, sewer overflows, or sewer odors

The Department of Water Management will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. 

It is important to report water main breaks, sewer overflows, and sewer odor as soon as possible. This allows us to take the necessary action to mitigate any possible service interruptions.

when you call
When you call to report a water main break, sewer overflow, or sewer odor, be prepared for our personnel to ask several questions. Here's what you will be asked::

  • Your name
  • Contact information (phone number or email)
  • Location of issue (main break, sewer overflow, sewer odor)
  • When did you first notice the issue?
  • Gathering as much information from you as we can helps us determine the best response.
  • Is the water standing or moving?
  • Do you have service water/sewer?
  • if you do have water service, how is the water pressure?
  • Is this affecting your personal property?
  • Is traffic affected?
  • For odor: Do you know if anyone else in your neighborhood noticed this issue or reported it?

Please note: normal operating hours for Water and Sewer Maintenance are from 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Calls placed after-hours, on weekends, or on a City-Recognized Holiday will be routed to an answering service which will take the report and dispatch on-call crews..

SEWER BLOCKAGE in your home or business

In the event of a sewer blockage or backup in a customer's home or business, the customer should first call Water and Sewer Maintenance at 919-560-4344. If a customer calls a plumber first, and the blockage is the city's responsibility, the city will not reimburse the customer for the plumber's bill.