- Departments & Offices A-E
- City-County Planning
- Important Information
- Planning Public Notification Service
Planning Public Notification Service
planning Public Notification Service Effective January 15, 2019
The Planning Department expanded its public notification service starting in January 2019. The Department sends email notification of all upcoming Planning public hearings and other public meetings to anyone (individuals, neighborhood organizations, other entities, etc.) who signs up for the service.
You must OPT-IN to the Planning Public Notification Service in order to receive the notification emails.
- The Planning Department's email Public Notification Service is a continuation and expansion of the previous neighborhood notification mail-outs for zoning and other land use public hearings.
- These notifications go beyond state law requirements and have been determined by Durham’s elected officials to be a necessary method to help citizens stay informed about upcoming zoning and other land use public hearings.
- Notification will NOT be restricted to a certain distance from a site -- any individual or entity that requests this notification will receive notification for ALL scheduled hearings.
- The Planning Public Notification Service notifications will only be performed through email -- no letters will be sent.
- The Planning Public Notification Service emails will NOT change requirements for property owner notifications as required by local and state laws. Those notifications will continue as required.
- Notifications will also be sent to alert subscribers about upcoming public meetings and other opportunities to participate in Planning-related events and projects, such as the new Comprehensive Plan.
What do I need to do?
- All subscribers to the Planning Public Notification Service MUST Opt-In.
- All organizations and individuals were removed from our previous list on January 31, 2019. Therefore, if you want to receive email notifications, you must subscribe through this link: https://durhamnc.gov/list.aspx?ListID=340.
- The service is currently free and requires setting up an account on the DurhamNC.gov website. If you are already subscribed to at least one other notification service through the City’s website, you can easily add the Planning Public Notification Service to your subscriptions.
- If you do not want this service, do not subscribe.
- If you change your mind, you can subscribe or unsubscribe at any time.
- Please note that text messages (SMS) are not available for this subscription due to extra charges.
What should I expect after I sign up?
- Email notifications will be sent approximately every week, but at least once a month, and will provide basic information about upcoming Planning-related public or quasi-judicial hearings by the following boards or commissions. Expect to see the dates of upcoming meetings and their locations, with a list of cases that are scheduled at the time the email is sent. The case listing will include the case number and name of the project for the following:
- Board of Adjustment (special use permits, variances, appeals, reasonable accommodation requests).
- Historic Preservation Commission (certificates of appropriateness, new or expanding local historic districts).
- Planning Commission (rezonings, comprehensive plan amendments, future land use map amendments, ordinance text amendments).
- City Council and Board of County Commissioners (rezonings, comprehensive plan amendments, future land use map amendments, ordinance text amendments, major and transportation special use permits, major site plans).
- Joint City-County Planning Committee - note that these do not include public hearings but the Committee hears reports and makes recommendations on certain items.
- Notifications will also be sent to alert subscribers about upcoming public meetings and other opportunities to participate in Planning-related events and projects.
Where can I get more information about the items in the notification?
The notifications will include links to more information about the agendas and items listed, including the following:
- The City's Agenda Center has the latest agenda materials and minutes for the all City-County Boards and Commissions.
- See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- Agenda materials for the Durham City Council are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):
- Agenda materials for the Durham County Board of County Commissioners are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
- Notifications for Planning-related projects will contain links to the web page with more information.
For questions, please contact the Planning Department at [email protected] by email or at 919-560-4137.
Click or call 919-560-1200