Re-striping to install two-way cycle track on Duke Street and widen existing bike lanes on Chapel Hill Street.
The planned two-way cycle track on Duke Street will provide a safe north-south bicycling connection in downtown Durham between Main Street and Chapel Hill Street. Pedestrian and bus rider safety will also be improved by narrowing driving lanes to discourage speeding and marking crosswalks. The waterline projects provide a low-cost opportunity to restripe these streets to improve bicycle and pedestrian safety in downtown Durham.
- Duke Street - Jackson Street to W Main Street
- Chapel Hill Street - NC 147 On-Ramp to Pettigrew Street
Bike and Pedestrian Facilities
- two-way cycle track on Duke Street
- buffered bike lanes on Chapel Hill Street (vertical protection to be installed separately)
- bike boxes; two-stage turn boxes; bike intersection skips
- high visibility crosswalks
A virtual public meeting on the re-striping was held on Thursday, October 29th, 2020 at 6:30 PM via Zoom.
The survey for those interested in making comments on the proposed re-striping has closed.
If you have any additional questions on the proposed re-striping, please contact Brian Taylor via email at [email protected].
Click or call 919-560-1200