The City of Durham is scheduled to award a construction contract with Garrett James Company, LLC., for the estimated amount of $420,000, to improve pedestrian crossings at the following intersections:
- Main Street at Driver Street
- Main Street at Dillard Street
- Lawson Street at Lincoln Street
- Lawson Street at Merrick Street
- Markham Avenue at Washington Street
- Arnette Avenue at Morehead Avenue
- Lawson Street and O’Kelly-Riddick Stadium Pedestrian Crossing
- Liberty Street at Eastway Elementary School Pedestrian Crossing
The project will upgrade existing infrastructure with emerging traffic signal technologies. The improvements will result in a decrease in traffic congestion, simplify traffic signal maintenance, reduce vehicle fuel consumption and emissions, improve transit reliability, and improve safety for motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
Work is scheduled to begin in April 2021 and be completed by December 2021. Upon completion of the project, the Transportation Department will operate and maintain the infrastructure.
Additional project materials are to the right, and a map of the pedestrian signal upgrades is below.
Click or call 919-560-1200