About the Office on Youth
The Office on Youth is a division in the City Manager’s Office. We are a small, but mighty team of young people and adults. We owe much of our success to the numerous partners who support us and collaborate with us to help us achieve our goals. These partners include young people, their families, and other people who work with and support youth in Durham.
At the Office on Youth, we believe…
- All young people in Durham have the right to have the resources and support they need to thrive, but currently not all do.
- Dismantling racism, sexism, adultism, and other “-isms” is required if we want all young people to succeed and thrive.
- The youth voice is powerful and should be amplified.
- Young people are people, not tokens or trophies to be used or put on display.
- Young people are the leaders of today and tomorrow, and are impacted by the now and future. They should have a role in decision making for policies, programs and services.
- Young people know best what young people need and want.
- The experiences of young people and families, especially those most excluded, should guide our decisions and plans.
- We are accountable to young people, their families, and people working to support children and youth for our actions.
- When we work as a collective, we are more effective at achieving our shared goals.
Meet the Team
Jeymi Dubon Reyes (she/her)
Jeymi coordinates engagement and outreach with Spanish-speaking young people and their families. She also facilitates training and activities for the Durham Youth Leadership Fund and Changed by Youth Ambassador programs. Jeymi is a graduate of Durham Public Schools and is passionate about language justice, access to education, and plants.
A'lice Frazier (she/her)
Youth Engagement Manager
A'lice manages the office's youth engagement efforts and is lead consultant to other departments and community organizations looking to build youth leadership. She also manages the Changed By Youth Ambassador program and Durham Youth Leadership Fund. A’lice is a storyteller, an avid hiker, and a joy enthusiast.
Atigré Farmer (she/her)
Atigré manages the communication and storytelling efforts for the office, and works with young people and other partners to amplify resources and youth voices. Atigré enjoys various mediums of art and tying it into her passion for building a strong sense of community.
Lara Khalil (she/her)
Director, Office on Youth
Lara works to ensure the office has the partnerships, resources, and work environment needed to fulfill its dreams. She also supports youth consultants working on special projects with the office. Lara delights in tending gardens, making photographs, and being mother to a creative, kinetic little person.
Nori McDuffie (He/Him)
Youth Project Assistant
Nori does community engagement for the office and nurtures partnerships with young people and organizations working to affirm and amplify youth voices. Nori is a member of Durham’s Community Safety and Wellness Task Force and a project facilitator for a youth-organized art collective, affectionately known as Durham Powerful Arts Collective (DurmPAC). Nori makes it his mission to travel the world with friends
Jaylen Segers (He/Him)
Youth Project Assistant
Jaylen does community engagement for the office, is a staff liaison to youth consultants, and creates content for the office’s newsletter. Jaylen is a senior at North Carolina Central University and passionate about relationship building within communities. He’s also interested in strategic planning and enjoys playing basketball and listening to various genres of music!
Click or call 919-560-1200