- Departments & Offices A-E
- City Manager's Office
- Office on Youth
- What We Do
- Durham Youth Leadership Fund
Durham Youth Leadership Fund
***The application period for this opportunity closed on March 26, 2023. Please reach out to the contacts below with any questions. visit this page later this year to see our funded projects.***
We’re back for another round of the Durham Youth Leadership Fund (DYLF)!
The first-ever DYLF was created in 2021 with support from Durham County and in direct response to the needs and dreams we heard about during the Durham Youth Listening Project. Check back here later this spring for the 2021-2022 DYLF Impact Report, which celebrates the successes of our first cohort of 13 grantees!
Our second round of funding will continue in this legacy, being responsive to what's important to young people. The 2023-2024 DYLF will: create opportunities for young people to explore and find connection through art; enhance and support young people’s mental health and wellness; and curate new safe, welcoming, and supportive "third spaces" and places for young people.
Young people (ages 13-24 years), community groups, and organizations were eligible to apply for one-year grants ranging from $500 - $20,000! Up to 15 projects will be awarded.
Focus of 2023-2024 Funding
Community-based projects that support:
- Young people ages 13-24 years
- Black, Latinx, and Indigenous youth; LGBTQ+ youth; immigrant and migrant youth; youth who have experienced economic hardships, houselessness, interactions with law enforcement, or being pushed out of institutions, including education environments; youth who have recently aged out of foster care; and youth with disabilities, including physical, mental, and developmental
And that are working on one or more of these focus areas:
- Creating new opportunities for young people to explore and find connection through art;
- Creating new opportunities that enhance and support young people’s mental health and wellness; and
- Creating new "third spaces" and places (outside school/work and home) where young people feel safe, welcome, and supported
application process and timeline
Note: Spanish language access will be incorporated into all steps of the process.
STEP 1: Submit your Interest Form by 11:59pm on Sunday, March 26, 2023
STEP 2: Selected applicants will be invited to pitch their proposals to the Youth-Adult Grant Making Team in a virtual session sometime April 25 - May 9, 2023. Applicants will also be asked to complete the online City of Durham Vendor registration process.
STEP 3: Finalists are notified and will complete paperwork to finalize their agreement with the City of Durham, sometime early to mid June 2023.
STEP 4: Projects begin September 1, 2023, and go through August 31, 2024!
Questions and support
We’re here to help support applicants through all steps of the application process. Please reach out to us with any questions, thoughts, or concerns you may have about the grant program.
Contact A’lice at A’[email protected] or call or text (984) 260-6703 for any questions or support in English.
Contact Jeymi at [email protected] or call or text (347) 738-0694 for any questions or support in Spanish.
Click or call 919-560-1200