Durham Cultural Advisory Board
NOTICE: Durham Launches New Cultural Roadmap Planning Process
The City and County have launched the Durham Cultural Roadmap planning process to meet the present day needs and aspirations of its arts and cultural community. The Durham Cultural Advisory Board has developed a vision, mission, and values to guide the Cultural Roadmap planning process. To learn more about the Cultural Roadmap, visit: https://www.durhamnc.gov/451/About-the-Cultural-Roadmap
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board serves as an advisory body to the City of Durham’s City Council and City Manager, and the Durham County's Board of County Commissioners and County Manager. The Board consists of fifteen members; thirteen members are appointed by the City Council, and two members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. The board's functions include:
- Partnering with the City's General Services Department’s Arts, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division and Durham County Engineering to advise the City and County regarding the implementation of the arts and cultural policy and to advocate for the arts in Durham.
- Promoting economic and workforce development through art and culture, including the recruitment and retention of cultural non-profit organizations and for-profit cultural businesses, as well as, developing cooperative projects with the Arts, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division, Durham County Engineering, and other departments and agencies to engage cultural components that advance Durham’s goals.
- Advocate for cultural development.
- Advise the City and County on funding for local arts and cultural organizations and facilities and advocate for private funding and for federal, state and county funding for Durham cultural organizations, programs and facilities.
- Advise on the implementation of any public art program the City or County might establish and advise the City and County on matters relating to public art.
- Advocate for public and private funding for local cultural organizations and facilities.
- Michael A. Betts, II
- E’Vonne Coleman, Durham County DCAB member
- Eldrin Deas
- Caroline Dwyer
- Tom Jaynes
- Joseph Jordan
- Angela Lee, Chair
- Jose G. Medrano
- Council Member Mark-Anthony Middleton, Mayor Pro Tempore
- Andrew Nurkin
- Raafe Purnsley
- Laura Ritchie
- Mitchell E. Sava, Vice-Chair
- Aya Shabu
- Elias Torre
- Erin Lee
- Katherine Lopez
Meetings of the board are advertised and open to the public. The Durham Cultural Advisory Board will host the monthly meeting via Zoom until further notice. Members of the public will be muted in the Zoom meeting. Public comments may be submitted via the Zoom chatroom during the meeting, via email prior to the meeting to [email protected], or via voicemail prior to the meeting to (919) 560-4197 x 21245. Members of the public can access the meeting by requesting the meeting passcode prior to the meeting date and calling the phone numbers provided below.
For information on how to join upcoming meetings, please contact [email protected] The zoom meeting will be available to watch in-person at 2011 Fay Street, Durham NC 27704 in room 141.
2022 Meeting Schedule
January 19, 2022
July 20, 2022
|February 16, 2022
(2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
|August 17, 2022 (2:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)|
|March 16, 2022||September 21, 2022|
|April 20, 2022||October 19, 2022|
|May 18, 2022||November 16, 2022|
|June 15, 2022||December 14, 2022 (2nd Wednesday of December)|
Durham Cultural Advisory Board
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
3:00 PM - 4:30 PM, EST
For the meeting link and passcode, please contact [email protected] or call 919-560-4197 ex. 21245 prior to the day of the meeting. The zoom meeting will be available to watch in-person at 2011 Fay Street, Durham NC 27704.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2019, please click here.
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2020, please click here.
Member & Student Member Application Process
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board's new member application process for City Council appointed members is now open.
Deadline to apply is December 22, 2022.
Members shall be residents of the County of Durham and/or persons who work and/or study in the County of Durham and actively contribute to the arts, cultural and economic sectors. Applicants shall meet those general qualifications specified by the City and County, which are requirements for individuals serving on an advisory board. DCAB has three student members position, who must live, work or study in the County of Durham. Durham City Council has approved a stipend program for eligible Board, Committee, Commission and Task Force members. For more information, visit: https://durhamnc.gov/4637/Stipend-Program-for-Board-Committee-Comm.
City Council Appointments
Durham County Commission Appointments
For Durham County Commission DCAB application process, visit https://www.dconc.gov/county-departments/departments-a-e/board-of-commissioners/boards-and-commissions.
The student member application process is currently closed. For more information on the term limits and roles of a student member on the Durham Cultural Advisory Board, please review the documents below:
For information about the board and the application process, please contact the Cultural & Public Art Program staff here: