Lift Station Improvements Project - FY21B
- This project will rehabilitate or replace six pump stations and two sewer connections in Durham.
- The initial field study work will include reviews of the project areas and obtaining survey within the project areas.
- Stewart Inc. and Falcon Engineering will perform initial investigative work. Representatives will work within the existing public right of way, easements, and City property. They will wear safety vests and carry proper identification at all times.
- The investigative work will cause minimal disturbance. To locate and survey existing buried utilities, temporary non-toxic paint of various colors will be used on the ground to mark the location of buried utilities throughout the project area. This temporary paint will wash away in several weeks depending on rain, traffic, etc. Door hangers will also be distributed seven days prior to any work anticipated close to your area.
- Preliminary Engineering and Data Collection are expected to be completed during the summer and fall of 2021.
A total of six pump stations and two connection locations in Durham will require structural improvements and capacity upgrades to accommodate future growth.
- Cooksbury Pump Station: located at the end of Cooksbury Drive, this pump station will be improved by replacing or rehabilitating existing components to improve pump station functionality.
- Cooksbury Tie-In: located near the intersection of Ferrell Road and Junction Road, existing sanitary sewer gravity piping and connections from the Cooksbury Pump Station Force Main will be revised to improve functionality.
- Del Webb Pump Station: located on Andrews Chapel Road, this pump station will be improved by replacing, rehabilitating, or adding pump station components to improve pump station functionality.
- Glenn Road Pump Station #1: located on Darrow Road, this pump station will be improved by replacing, upgrading, and adding various components. Gravity sewer from Glenn Road Pump Station #2 will also be redirected to this pump station. Additionally, a force main connection from the Glenn Road Pump Station #1 at the North Durham Water Reclamation Facility will be modified.
- Glenn Road Pump Station #2: located behind Kingstone Avenue, this pump station will be abandoned and demolished, and the flow will be redirected to Glenn Road Pump Station #1 via a gravity main extension that will be constructed to connect the two pump stations.
- Hickory Nut Pump Station: located at the end of Hickory Nut Drive, this pump station will be abandoned and demolished, and a gravity sewer extension will be constructed to connect the flow to newly installed gravity sewer.
- Sparger Road Pump Station: located on Sparger Road near Beech Grove Drive, this pump station will be relocated across the street.
- North Durham Water Reclamation Facility – B-Side Headworks: located on E Club Boulevard, an outflow from Glenn Road Pump Station #1 will be modified and redirected to this location.
Kimley-Horn & Associates, Inc. is assisting the City with evaluation and design services for these projects.