Fire Recruit Information
- I have some certifications and I've got firefighting experience. Am I really an Entry Level Fire Recruit?
If you can't answer "Yes" to ALL of the questions below, Durham considers you a Fire Recruit:
- Do you have a valid/unexpired NC Basic EMT certification or can you get reciprocity for your current EMT certification?
- Do you have an IFSAC or Pro Board Firefighter II certification or can you get reciprocity for your current Firefighter II certification?
- Do you have an IFSAC or Pro Board Hazmat Operations Level I certification or can you get reciprocity for your current Hazmat Operations certification?
- Have you graduated from an approved Fire academy within the past two years OR have you worked as a government or municipality full-time, paid firefighter for the past two years without more than a 3 month lapse in employment?
- Will I be paid when I'm in the Academy?
Yes, you will be paid throughout the academy. Additionally, your textbooks are paid for by the department.
- What can I expect on the written test for Fire RECRUITS?
Glad you asked - Check out the guidelines and examples for written testing here.
Also, be sure to watch the video from Fire Driver Andre Knight (now Fire Captain Andre Knight!).
|5/18||Wed||4:30 pm||Applicants selected for interview receive an email advising them to self-schedule|
|5/25||Wed||8:00 am||Self-scheduler closes|
|6/6-6/9||Mon-Thurs||Scheduled||Interviews conducted at 2008 E. Club|
|By 6/30||Thurs||4:30 pm||Applicants notified if they are selected for hire|
|7/11 & 7/13||Mon & Wed||Scheduled||Physicals for New Hires|
|8/29||Mon||07:30 am||First Day of Employment|