Frequently Asked Questions

If you suspect you have mold growth, inform your landlord before contacting code enforcement. If your landlord is not properly responding or fails to address the cause of the mold, Code Enforcement can inspect the dwelling for any underlying code violations.

  • Mold is not a violation of the City of Durham minimum housing code. A Code Enforcement Officer can inspect a dwelling for any underlying factors that may contribute to mold, such as leaking roofs or leaking plumbing that are code violations.

  • The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has information on mold including prevention tips and cleanup guidelines on their website at You can also download a copy of the EPA's A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture and Your Home.