Streetscape Design for Targeted Neighborhood Commercial Areas
This streetscape program was designed to promote economic revitalization, improve the quality of life for residents,and to enhance the visual appeal of the Angier/Driver commercial corridor located in Northeast Central Durham.
Local residents, businesses, developers and other key stakeholders participated in this process through open meetings. The Office of Economic and Workforce Development and Public Works Department partnered with EG&G Inc., a landscape architecture, planning, and engineering firm, to implement this project.
Project parameters in the street right of way:
- Catch basins and drainage inlets per BMP standards
- Concrete crosswalks with provisions for decorative paving patterns
- Concrete curbs, gutters and drive aprons
- Concrete sidewalks with provisions for decorative brick paving and "bulb-outs"
- Consolidation of overhead utility wires on new high poles located on one side of the street with conduit for service connections
- Decorative historic-style street lighting
- Handicap accessibility ramps per Americans With Disabilities Act standards
- Landscaping and furnishing in "bulb-outs"
- Street milling, resurfacing and striping
Click or call 919-560-1200