The Code Enforcement Division is here to ensure all Durham residents live in safe, healthy homes and neighborhoods.
We do this by enforcing codes and ordinances that exist to protect the quality of life of residents. We are out in the community and work directly with residents and homeowners through outreach and information sharing in neighborhoods.
hOURS OF OPERATION
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. P: 919-560-1647
Address: Golden Belt - 807 E. Main St. Durham, NC 27701 Building 2, 3rd Floor
The Community-Centered Code Enforcement Initiative was piloted beginning March 2016 in response to Code Enforcement staff’s desire to improve enforcement outcomes and increase connections with communities. This work focuses on prioritizing resident education and engagement regarding city code to increase awareness and compliance.
Officers and supervisors select focus areas based on:
• Historically high contractions of citations
• Visual assessments of current conditions in the neighborhoods in their enforcement areas
Officers then partner with Community Engagement and Human Relations staff in
• Conducting neighborhood canvassing to engage/educate residents on city ordinances and enforcement complexities and establish baseline conditions
Then Code Enforcement staff:
• Conducts proactive warning inspections (minor) and full inspections for all properties in the focus area
• Conducts 30 day follow-up inspections to drive overall and voluntary compliance to improve housing and neighborhood conditions