Become a Durham Firefighter
Our 2022 hiring processes are now closed. We do not anticipate another entry level hiring process until April 2023. To receive email notifications regarding future Entry Level and Lateral hiring processes, please complete a Firefighter Interest Card. For questions not answered here, email us at [email protected]
We hope to see you in Durham!
applicants who interviewed with us are reminded to check email daily.
Eligibility Requirements For Entry and Certified Applicants
- Must be a permanent U.S. resident (green card holder)
- Must be at least 18 years old (by July 1 of current year unless stated otherwise)
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent (by July 1 of current year unless stated otherwise )
- No DWI convictions in the last four years
- No felony convictions - Note: speeding tickets and misdemeanors are not disqualifiers
- Valid unexpired driver’s license (does not have to be North Carolina)
- Must be able to speak, write and test in English
- Must be willing to obtain required vaccines to meet EMS requirements. In order to participate in AEMT mandatory clinical site rotations, applicants must have received their first and second COVID vaccine doses if Pfizer or Moderna, or their first dose if Johnson & Johnson. As soon as ample time has elapsed based on manufacturer recommendations, applicants must also receive a COVID booster. The COVID vaccine is now required for entry into all clinical sites for EMS rotations. These requirements may change at any time.
Compensation & Benefits
|Entry Level Fire Recruit (Starting salary is non-negotiable)
||$40,682 - $69,988
|Certified/Lateral Firefighter (Starting salary is non-negotiable)||$42,966 - $69,988|
|Fire Driver / Fire Inspector II
||$52,739 - $81,815
|Fire Captain / Assistant Fire Marshal
||$66,348 - $108,074
|Battalion Chief / Deputy Fire Marshal
||$74,254 - $115,192
|Division Chief||$93,149 - $144,505|
|Assistant Fire Chief / Fire Marshal
||$98,087 - $152,165
Want to know what's expected after you are hired, then after you're out of the academy?
- Academy Schedule for Certified Firefighters
- Academy Schedule for Entry Level Firefighters
- Firefighter Shift Schedule - Our Firefighters work an average of ten 24-hour shifts per month on A, B, or C Shift. Shifts run from 7 am until 7 am the following day. Firefighters work every other day for 10 days. After that 10-day cycle is complete, each firefighter is off for 6 consecutive days. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>