Become a Durham Firefighter
To receive email notifications regarding future Entry Level and Lateral hiring processes, please complete a Firefighter Interest Card. Please note:
We will likely accept applications for Certified/Lateral Firefighters in early 2023; however, lateral processes may be conducted at any time to fill existing vacancies.
We anticipate accepting entry level applications during the month of April 2023.
Please review our FAQs if you are interested in applying with us. For questions not answered there, email us at [email protected] We hope to see you in Durham!
Eligibility Requirements For Entry and Certified Applicants
- Must be a permanent U.S. resident (green card holder)
- Must be at least 18 years old (by July 1 of current year unless stated otherwise)
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent (by July 1 of current year unless stated otherwise )
- No DWI convictions in the last four years
- No felony convictions - Note: speeding tickets and misdemeanors are not disqualifiers
- Valid unexpired driver’s license (does not have to be North Carolina)
- Must be able to speak, write and test in English
- Must be willing to obtain required vaccines to meet EMS requirements. In order to participate in EMT mandatory clinical site rotations, applicants must have received their first and second COVID vaccine doses if Pfizer or Moderna, or their first dose if Johnson & Johnson. As soon as ample time has elapsed based on manufacturer recommendations, applicants may be required to receive a COVID booster. The COVID vaccine is now required for entry into all clinical sites for EMS rotations. These requirements may change at any time.
Compensation & Benefits
|Entry Level Fire Recruit (Starting salary is non-negotiable)
||$40,682 - $69,988
|Certified/Lateral Firefighter (Starting salary is non-negotiable)||$42,966 - $69,988|
|Fire Driver / Fire Inspector II
||$52,739 - $81,815
|Fire Captain / Assistant Fire Marshal
||$66,348 - $108,074
|Battalion Chief / Deputy Fire Marshal
||$74,254 - $115,192
|Division Chief||$93,149 - $144,505|
|Assistant Fire Chief / Fire Marshal
||$98,087 - $152,165
Want to know what's expected after you are hired, then after you're out of the academy?
- Academy Schedule for Certified Firefighters
- Academy Schedule for Entry Level Firefighters
- Firefighter Shift Schedule - Our Firefighters work an average of ten 24-hour shifts per month on A, B, or C Shift. Shifts run from 7 am until 7 am the following day. Firefighters work every other day for 10 days. After that 10-day cycle is complete, each firefighter is off for 6 consecutive days. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>