May 17, 2021
Public Hearing Notice: Durham City Council - May 17, 2021 at 7 p.m.
Monday, May 17, 2021
Public hearings will be held to discuss the following: Proposed contract between the City of Durham and Downtown Durham, Inc. to operate the Downtown Durham Municipal Service District; Annexation - Olive Branch West II (BDG2000023); Zoning Map Change - Selby Avenue Homes (Z2000018), Olive Branch West II (Z2000035A); Proposed Stormwater Fee Changes.
The Durham City Council will hold virtual public hearings on May 17, 2021, at 7 p.m. to hear the following requests:
This meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform.
Office of Economic & Workforce Development Department
Proposed new contract between the City of Durham and Downtown Durham, Inc. to operate the Downtown Durham Municipal Service District for Fiscal Years 2022-2026 - PR# 14613
In accordance with North Carolina General Statutes 160A-536, the City Council will conduct a public hearing prior to authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract for Municipal Service District operations not to exceed five-years in duration. If approved, the term of the contract shall begin July 1, 2021 and end June 30, 2026, subject to amendment annually and contingent upon annual appropriation of funds by City Council.
For information about this case, contact [email protected] or call 919-560-4965.
City-County Planning Department
Zoning Map Change
Olive Branch West II (BDG2000023) is a request for a noncontiguous expansion of an existing city limits totaling 59.055 acres located at 434 Olive Branch, 815 and 818 Doc Nichols Road.
Selby Avenue Homes (Z2000018) is a request to change the zoning located at 1518 Riddle Road from Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20), Residential Urban-5 (RU-5) to Residential Urban-5 with a development plan (RU-5(D)), a proposed change of the Future Land Use Map designation from Low Density Residential (4 DU/Acre or less) to Medium Density Residential (6-12 DU/Acre) and a proposed change of the development tier boundary from the Suburban Tier to the Urban Tier.
- Olive Branch West II (Z2000035A) is a request to change the zoning located at 434 Olive Branch, 815 and 818 Doc Nichols Road from Residential Rural (RR) with Overlay Zoning of Falls/Jordan Lake Watershed Protection District-B (F/J-B), County to Residential Rural (RR) with Overlay Zoning of Falls/Jordan Lake Watershed Protection District-B (F/J-B) City.
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. For information about the cases, contact [email protected]
or at 919-560-4137.
Public Works Department
Proposed Stormwater Fee Changes - PR# 14629
The proposed stormwater fee changes will be on the agenda for the following virtual Durham City Council meetings:
Work Session, which begins at 1:00 PM on Thursday May 6, 2021; Monday night meeting, which begins at 7:00 PM on May 17, 2021.
If you wish to submit written comments on the proposed stormwater fee changes, you may send them:
- Via email to [email protected]
- Via USPS to Public Works Stormwater Services, 3rd Floor Public Works, 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, NC 27701
- Or hand delivered to the City Hall Lobby 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, NC 27701. The City Hall lobby is open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The public hearing and Council consideration of the proposed stormwater fee changes will occur at Council’s 7 PM meeting on May 17, 2021. Comments may be submitted through May 18, 2021.
Ordinance to Revise Stormwater Rates
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF DURHAM THAT:
Section 1: The Fee Schedule is changed by replacing existing Part 13C-102 in its entirety with the following:
Part 13C-102 (Stormwater services charges on developed land)
Services charges authorized by city code section 70-652 on developed land are:
(1) Residential units: $3.75 per month for residential units with less than 2,000 square feet of impervious surface; $7.76 per month for residential units with 2,000 square feet or more of impervious surface but less than 4,000 square feet of impervious surface; and $15.55 per month for residential units with 4,000 square feet or more of impervious surface.
(2) Residential customers are billed on an annual basis, unless a request for a billing schedule change from the property owner is received and approved by the Public Works Stormwater Billing Services Unit.
(3) Other residential and nonresidential land is charged $7.76 per month for each equivalent residential unit (ERU), which is defined in city code section 70-631. ERUs of less than 0.5 shall be rounded down and those of 0.5 or greater shall be rounded up to the nearest whole number. There is no service charge for non-residential property that contains less than 0.5 ERU of impervious surface.
Section 2: This ordinance is effective on July 1, 2021. (Proposed effective date, subject to City Council approval)