Durham police are investigating three armed robberies involving Letgo transactions that have been reported on Troy Street within the past eight days. No injuries were reported.
The victims, who were all from out of town, all made arrangements through the Letgo app to meet someone on Troy Street to purchase either phones or gaming equipment. In all three cases, the victims were robbed of cash at gunpoint.
Police are investigating the following robberies:
- September 3 at 9:40 p.m. – The victim went to the 600 block of Troy Street to purchase a used gaming console. He was robbed at gunpoint by three males.
- September 8 at 7:50 p.m. – The victim went to the 600 block of Troy Street to purchase an iPhone. Two men approached him and put a gun to the victim’s head. They fled with cash and the victim’s wallet.
- September 10 at 9:40 p.m. – The victim went to the 600 block of Troy Street to purchase an iPhone. He was robbed at gunpoint by two males.
The suspects were described as black males in their late teens or early twenties.
Anyone with information on these robberies is asked to call Investigator B. Riley at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29303 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
The Durham Police Department offers the following crime prevention tips with respect to this type of crime:
- Be cautious and trust your instincts. If something does not feel right, leave
- Meet in a public place (for example, a fast food restaurant)
- Meet during daylight hours
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going
- Take a friend with you, if possible
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- Do not divulge personal information
- Be wary of last minute changes in the meeting location
- Save any and all communications with the seller/buyer (text messages, emails, voicemails, etc.)
Click or call 919-560-1200