Durham Police Asking for Information about Robberies of Taxi Drivers
Durham police investigators are asking for information about several armed robberies of taxi drivers that have occurred since late November. No injuries have been reported. In all the cases, the suspect has been described as a black male approximately six feet tall and in his 30s. The suspect in several cases was wearing a black or gray hoodie pulled over his head.
Investigators are asking for information about the following cases:
- November 24 at 1:50 a.m. in the 4000 block of Meriwether Drive. A taxi driver picked up a man at the intersection of Holloway Street and Briggs Avenue and took him to an apartment complex on Meriwether Drive. When the taxi arrived at the apartment complex, the man pointed a gun at the driver and demanded money and the driver’s wallet.
- November 25 shortly after 11 p.m. in the 1300 block of Tucker Street. The taxi driver was dispatched to pick up a man in McDougald Terrace. The man asked to be taken to Tucker Street, where he pointed a gun at the driver and demanded the victim’s money and phone.
- December 4 at 9:15 p.m. in the 900 block of Dayton Street. The driver picked up a man at the bus station on West Pettigrew Street and took him to Dayton Street. The man pulled out a gun and took the victim’s phone and cash. He also damaged a radio in the taxi.
- December 28 shortly after 11 p.m. in the 1200 block of Camden Avenue. The taxi driver was dispatched to Camden Avenue. A man approached the taxi, pointed a gun at the driver and demanded money. The suspect took cash and walked away.
- January 4 at 10:30 p.m. in the 4000 block of Meriwether Drive. The driver picked up a man on Rigsbee Avenue and took him to the 4000 block of Meriwether Drive. When they arrived, the man pulled out a gun, pointed it at the driver and took his wallet.
Anyone with information on these robberies is asked to call Sgt. Tinnin at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29240, Cpl. Frey at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29480 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
Click or call 919-560-1200