Free Event Open to All Durham Residents
DURHAM, N.C. – Durham residents looking for an easy and free way to recycle electronic waste (e-waste) and old textiles and clothing as well as shred confidential documents should attend the City of Durham’s E-Waste, Textile Recycling and Paper Shredding event next month.
The City’s Solid Waste Management Department is hosting this free event on Saturday, June 1 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Northgate Mall, located at 1058 W. Club Blvd., in the former Sears Auto Center parking lot. Staff will be on hand to assist with unloading old electronics, paper, and textiles.
Nearly all electronic devices with a cord will be accepted including:
- Computers, laptops, keyboards, mice, printers, monitors, speakers, copiers, scanners, circuit boards, hard drives, computer parts, etc.
- Televisions, stereo equipment, tape players, receivers, amplifiers, record players, etc.
- Kitchen electronics, such as microwaves, mixers, blenders, choppers, etc.
- Telephones, cell phones, and fax machines
- Hair dryers, curling irons, alarm clocks, and vacuum cleaners
- Power tools, cordless tools, etc.
- Electronic toys, such as keyboards and video game systems
- This event will NOT accept large appliances, refrigerators, air conditioners or any other appliances that contain Freon in non-working condition.
Durham residents who can’t attend this event can still safely and conveniently recycle their old electronics at no charge at the City’s Waste Disposal and Recycling Center (Transfer Station), located at 2115 E. Club Blvd. The facility is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
Items accepted on site by Green Zone should be dry and clean and can be left in less-than-perfect condition (worn, torn or stained):
- Bedding (comforter, sheets, pillow cases, blankets)
- Flip flops
- Halloween costumes
- Jerseys (sports)
- Napkins (cloth)
- Pet beds and clothing
- Shoes (single or in pairs)
- Socks (single or in pairs)
- Stuffed animals
- Table linens
Confidential paper shredding will also be provided on site during this event. Shredding requirements include:
- Paper may contain paper clips and staples; however, hanging file folders will not be accepted.
- Only paper should be brought for shredding. CDs, DVDs, and other non-paper items will not be accepted.
- All paper should be loose and not in binders or other binding items made of non-paper.
- Residents may be present to observe their confidential document shredding if the amount to be shredded can fit into one 96-gallon roll cart (approximately 240 pounds of material or approximately eight small, banker boxes of material).
- Participants with larger quantities will have items placed in boxes to be shredded off-site at Shimar Recycling’s secure facility.
About the City of Durham Solid Waste Management Department
The Solid Waste Management Department promotes and supports a high quality of life for the residents of Durham by providing comprehensive, responsive, environmentally-safe, efficient and cost-effective solid waste collection, recycling and disposal programs. Department services include roll-out cart collection, cart delivery and repair service, cardboard collection, yard waste collection, waste reduction and recycling, bulky item pick-up, and disposal services. The Department supports the City’s Strategic Plan by providing professional management that contributes to creating thriving, livable neighborhoods as well as an innovative and high-performing organization.