Crime Alert – Catalytic Converter Thefts
There has been an increase in the number of reported thefts of catalytic converters throughout the city. The number of thefts has increased by 86 percent from 35 reported January 1 – July 10, 2018 to 65 reported during the same period this year. Seven of the 65 thefts were reported this month.
Twenty-three of the 65 thefts in 2019 have been reported from vehicles in church parking lots and 45 of the thefts have involved commercial vans.
The Durham Police Department is providing the following crime prevention tips:
- Park your vehicles in a closed garage, if possible
- If you don’t have a garage, park in a secured, fenced area or park in a well-lit area
- Park near a video surveillance camera
- Call 911 to report suspicious activity
- Check on the vehicle frequently so if theft does occur you can narrow down the time it happened
- Engrave the catalytic converter with an identifying mark such as a license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN) or Social Security number
- Set your vehicle security system to activate at the slightest vibration
Install a catalytic converter protection device