Durham Police Investigate Fatal Pedestrian Crash
UPDATE: The pedestrian has been identified as Gaynor Songer, 73, of Durham.
Investigators are still trying to identify the hit-and-run driver and vehicle
- Durham police are investigating a fatal crash involving a pedestrian on South Miami Boulevard near Ambassador Drive. The female pedestrian was struck by two vehicles and one of those vehicles left the scene before officers arrived.
- The crash was reported at 7:11 p.m. on Wednesday, November 13. The pedestrian was attempting to cross South Miami Boulevard when she collided with the driver’s side mirror of a 2011 Super Duty Ford truck driven by Antonio Asion of Durham. The impact knocked the pedestrian down onto the roadway, where she was struck by a second vehicle that fled the scene.
- Investigators believe the second vehicle is a metallic gray/silver 2003-2008 Toyota Matrix with damage to the front left bumper and fender well. The vehicle has not been located at this time.
- The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name is not being released because next of kin have not been notified.
- No charges have been filed and the crash remains under investigation.
- Anyone with information about the hit-and-run vehicle is asked to call Investigator J.A. Bell with the DPD’s Traffic and Crash Team at (919) 560-4935, ext. 29411 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
Click or call 919-560-1200