Local Student-Artists Honored for Water Conservation Posters
With current events putting public health and the role of clean, safe water in sharp focus, this year’s National Drinking Water Week (May 3-9) is an opportunity to recognize the City employees who work each and every day to continuously provide us with safe drinking water. Our Department of Water Management plant operators, lab technicians, and maintenance support staff have stayed on the job throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. They now look forward to continuing to serve the City of Durham as we begin the process of reopening.
In past years, Mayor Steve Schewel issued a proclamation declaring Drinking Water Week in the City of Durham—acknowledging the contributions of essential water workers. Although current circumstances have altered this tradition, we can still celebrate virtually! This year’s highlight is the 2020 Water Conservation Poster Contest, with special artwork created by students in grades K-8 who generously shared their drawings and messages about this year’s theme, “The Value of Water.”
The following artists competed across the state in a contest sponsored by the North Carolina Chapter of the American Water Works Association/Water Environment Association. They have won at the Local and State Level.
To view the winning entries, or for more information on drinking water and water conservation, contact the City’s water efficiency and conservation program staff at (919) 560-4381 or visit the department’s Web page.
Winning entries in the grades K-2 division:
- First Place – Nathaniel Ray (Montessori Community School)
- Second Place – Becca Herbert-Reader (Montessori Community School)
- Third Place – Gabriella Centonze (Creekside Elementary)
Winning entries in the grades 3-5 division:
- First Place – Emilyn Doan (Durham Academy)
- Second Place – Owen Herbert-Reader (Montessori Community School)
- Third Place – Cordelia Mullin (George Watts Elementary)
Winning entries in the grades 6-8 division:
- First Place – Zachary Hanspal (Voyager Academy)
- Second Place – Lily Soderberg (Triangle Day School)
- Third Place – Emma Wilcox (Voyager Academy)
Click or call 919-560-1200