Durham Police Asking for Information on Internet Buy/Sell Robberies
Durham police investigators are asking for information about three recent letgo internet buy/sell armed robberies. Investigators believe the cases are related.
Investigators are asking for information about the following cases:
- April 25 shortly after 7 p.m. in the 1200 block of Lakeland Street. The victim was attempting to buy an iPhone advertised on letgo when the suspect held the victim at gunpoint and robbed him of cash. The suspect fled with a second male.
- May 2 around 4:40 p.m. in the 1200 block of Lakeland Street. The victim was attempting to sell an iPhone through letgo. When the victim met with the suspect(s), one suspect held her at gunpoint and took the victim’s phone.
- May 2 shortly after 6 p.m. in the 1500 block of Mathison Street. The victim met with the suspect(s) to purchase an iPhone advertised through letgo. One suspect held the victim at gunpoint, robbed her and fired a shot at her vehicle. She was not injured.
- Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator Roberts at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29248 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
The Durham Police Department offers the following crime prevention tips with respect to this type of crime:
- Be cautious and trust your instincts. If something does not feel right, leave
- Meet in a public place (for example, a fast food restaurant)
- Meet during daylight hours
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going
- Take a friend with you, if possible
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- Do not divulge personal information
- Be wary of last minute changes in the meeting location
- Save any and all communications with the seller/buyer (text messages, emails, voicemails, etc.)