Ver en español (PDF)
Applications Accepted August 10-20 and Due on August 20 at 5 p.m.; English and Spanish Applications Now Available Online
The Durham City Council is now accepting applications to fill the Ward 3 Council Seat for the unexpired term of former City Council Member Vernetta Alston, who resigned in 2019 to accept an appointment to the North Carolina House of Representatives to complete the term of the late Representative MaryAnn Black. The person selected for this position will be asked to serve until November 2021, which is when the Ward 3 term expires.
The vacancy notice, application, and questionnaire may now be accessed in English and Spanish on the City’s website at DurhamNC.gov/ward3.
Candidates for the position must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Live within the corporate city limits of Durham.
- Reside in Ward 3 of the City of Durham - check your ward online:
- Go to the Find Your Representative Map
- Search for your address
- Click the "City of Durham Council Ward" option in the list
- Be a registered voter with the Durham County Board of Elections.
- Be current on City and County taxes at the time of their application submission.
The deadline to receive completed applications and questionnaires is Thursday, August 20 at 5 p.m. Since most of City Hall remains closed to the public due to COVID-19, completed application packets cannot be accepted in person at the City Clerk’s Office. Completed application packets will only be accepted in the following three ways:
- By email at [email protected].
- By U.S. Mail to the City Clerk’s Office, 101 City Hall Plaza, Second Floor, Durham, N.C. 27701. The packet must be postmarked by the deadline.
- By fax at (919) 560-4835.
The timeline for filling the Ward 3 seat is as follows:
- Monday, August 24: City Council identifies 3-7 finalists for appointment consideration at a special virtual work meeting beginning at 10:15 a.m.
- Thursday, August 27: City Council interviews finalists at a special virtual meeting beginning at 5 p.m.
- Monday, August 31: City Council votes on the appointment at a special virtual meeting beginning at 10:15 a.m.
- Thereafter: Appointee is sworn in by the City Clerk at a date and time convenient to the appointee, but prior to the next regular council meeting on Tuesday, September 8.
The vacancy notice, application, and questionnaire may now be accessed in English and Spanish on the City’s website at DurhamNC.gov/ward3. All applications received are public records will be posted for public review on the City’s website. For additional information about this application process, contact the City Clerk’s Office by phone at (919) 560-4166 or by email at [email protected], Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.