Longtime Homeowner Grant Program
The Longtime Homeowner Grant is designed to assist longtime homeowners that may have experienced an increase in their property taxes due to the City of Durham's revitalization efforts in the Southside, Walltown, Northeast Central Durham (NECD), and Southwest Central Durham (SWCD) target areas.
TO BE ELIGIBLE you must:
- Own and live in your home as your primary residence.
- Have lived in your property since July 1, 2012.
- Have experienced an increase in your property tax obligations based upon the 2015 property tax assessment, and your 2020 property taxes are higher than your property taxes were in 2015.
- Own a property located in the Southside, Walltown, Northeast Central Durham, or Southwest Central Durham target areas. Properties in the Northeast and Southwest Central Durham target areas must be located within proximity to a City of Durham housing investment that occurred between 2010 and 2015.
The City will determine if your property is within the boundary that qualifies for assistance.
Assistance in the form of a grant will be available to approved homeowners. The deadline to submit applications for the Longtime Homeowner Grant Program is March 31, 2022. Applications may be downloaded here (PDF Link), or you may request an application by contacting the Department at (919) 560-4570, extension 22257. All applications must be mailed and postmarked no later than the application deadline. Please mail all completed applications and supporting documents to: City of Durham, Community Development Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, NC, 27701, Attention: LTHO Program.
Southside Target Area Map
Walltown Target Area Map
Northeast Central Durham Target Area Map
Southwest Central Durham Target Area Map
- Your income in the 2020 calendar year must not be greater than the maximum set for the program, which is 80% or below the HUD median family income for the Durham-Chapel Hill NC HUD Metro FMR area. The maximum program income is based upon the number of people who live in your household. (Please refer to the chart below).
- A copy of your 2020 Federal Tax Return must be submitted along with your application to determine eligibility for this program.
Click or call 919-560-1200