Applications Accepted March 11-25; English and Spanish Applications Now Available Online
The Durham City Council is now accepting applications to fill the At-Large Council Seat for the unexpired term of former City Council Member Charlie Reece, who resigned on March 7, 2022. The person selected for this position will be asked to serve until November 2023, which is when the at-large term expires.
Candidates for the position must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Live within the corporate city limits of Durham.
- Be a registered voter with the Durham County Board of Elections.
- Be current on City and County taxes at the time of their application submission.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted from Friday, March 11 through Friday, March 25. The deadline to receive completed applications and questionnaires is Friday, March 25 at 5 p.m. In addition to being available online, hard copy application packets are also available in the City Clerk’s Office.
The vacancy notice, application, and questionnaire may now be accessed in English and Spanish on the Council Vacancy webpage. All applications received are public records will be posted for public review on the Council Vacancy webpage.
Completed application packets will be accepted in the following ways:
- By email.
- In person at the City Clerk’s Office, located at 101 City Hall Plaza, Second Floor, Durham, N.C. 27701.
- By U.S. Mail to the City Clerk’s Office, 101 City Hall Plaza, Second Floor, Durham, N.C. 27701. Mailed packets must be postmarked by the March 25 deadline.
Timeline for Filling the At-Large Seat
- Friday, March 11 through Friday, March 25 at 5 p.m.: application period for vacancy.
- Thursday, April 7 at 1 p.m.: City Council will identify finalists for consideration for appointment during its regularly scheduled Work Session.
- Monday, May 2 at 4 p.m.: City Council will interview the selected finalists during a Special Meeting in the City Hall Council Chambers.
- Tuesday, May 3 at 6 p.m.: City Council will conduct a public comment period during a Special Meeting in the City Hall Council Chambers, and will make its selection thereafter.
- Thereafter: City Clerk will coordinate with the appointee to select a date and time to administer their oath of office.
How to Watch Meetings and Work Sessions
The regularly scheduled April 7 Work Session will be livestreamed on City’s website; on the City's YouTube channel; on Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV through the free Boxcast app; and televised live on Durham Television Network (Spectrum channel 8, Frontier channel 70, and AT&T U-verse channel 99).
The May 2 and May 3 Special Meetings will be livestreamed on City’s website; on the City's YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter channels; on Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV through the free Boxcast app; and televised live on Durham Television Network (Spectrum channel 8, Frontier channel 70, and AT&T U-verse channel 99).
For additional information about this application process, contact the City Clerk’s Office by phone at (919) 560-4166 or by email, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.