Upcoming City Hall Closures
The City-County Planning Department will be closed in observance of the following holiday:
- Independence Day - Monday, July 5, 2021
Planning staff will resume regular business hours the following business day.
Applicant-Sponsored Neighborhood Meetings
LEESVILLE ROAD ANNEXATION AND REZONING– July 8, 2021
Horvath Associates is conducting a virtual neighborhood meeting on July 8, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time to discuss the potential annexation and rezoning of approximately 88 acres along Leesville Road north of Del Webb Carolina Arbors. The Property is currently zoned Rural Residential (RR). The developer proposes rezoning the property to Planned Development Residential 3.5 (PDR 3.5).
How to Participate in the July 8, 2021, Neighborhood Meeting:
Click on the link through your phone, laptop, or iPad:https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82179540331
Meeting ID: 821 7954 0331
To participate via phone:
Call: +1 929-205-6099 (standard charges may apply)
Meeting ID: 821 7954 0331
Please do not hesitate to contact Tim Sivers at 919-490-4990 or [email protected]
if you have any questions.
Safer-at-Home Order in Effect - Planning and Development Services (DSC) Continue Most Operations Online
The Development Services Center (DSC) lobby has been closed to walk-in customers due to COVID-19, and customer service, development review, and inspections services have continued remotely. After further assessing the safety and demand for in-person services in light of alternative telephone, email, and web-based services available, the DSC lobby will remain closed until further notice.
If a service cannot be provided remotely, an in-person option may be arranged in advance with strict adherence to social distancing standards and use of a face covering. As more programs and services return, and businesses reopen, we remind everyone to adhere to Durham’s Safer-at-Home Order.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at:
A New Way to Engage in Rezoning and Annexation Proposals in Durham
To meet the needs of our community members, the City-County Planning Department has launched an Interactive Map and Community Input Tool through the Land Use Engagement Site. This tool provides an opportunity for community members to:
- Obtain information about zoning map change and annexation petition applications submitted to the Planning Department
- Stay updated on engagement opportunities, track the progress of projects, provide input on these projects
- See a clear and transparent record of the evolution of a project
- See what other community members are saying about development proposals
- Learn what information goes into how land use decisions are made
We encourage you to engage with this site early and often, and stay active in cases that have meaning or impact to you and your community.
Notice of Planning Fee Changes, Effective July 1, 2021
At the June 21st Durham City Council Meeting, the City Council adopted the Fiscal Year 2021-2022 budget, which includes updates to development fees. More about the budget process and a link to the final adopted budget is available in this news release.
Fiscal Year 22 fees are effective July 1, 2021. Please refer to updated fee schedule beginning July 1 when submitting new development applications and permits.
Highlights of the fee changes include:
- New Level 4 Site Plan fee structure with 7 tiers based on scope of development.
- New fee for Development Agreements.
- New fee for the Planning Department Arborist to inspect street trees in the right-of-way.
- Further compression of payment types to reduce the number of trips through the payment portal for most Planning applications. This includes combining all related Planning fees for an application type into one payment, especially Engineering Zoning Review fees and notification fees, as applicable. In order to accomplish this, there is a small increase in notification fees.
- Fees due to other departments when submitting a Planning application, such as TIA, UEA, and SUDS fees, must continue to be paid separately into each department's payment type.
- There are no changes to payment types for other departments.
If you have questions or need assistance with the fees, please contact [email protected]
or call 919-560-4137 on non-holiday weekdays.
Scheduled Public Meetings
Historic Preservation Commission
The Durham Historic Preservation Commission will hold a virtual public hearing on July 6, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. to consider the following:
Certificates of Appropriateness
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. Email [email protected] or call 919-560-4137.
- COA2100031 (2113 Englewood Avenue) is a request for new construction of an accessory structure with associated site work.
- COA2100034 (2410 West Club Boulevard) is a request for new rear addition and replacement of non-original dormer windows.
- COA2100037 (2326 Englewood Avenue) is a request for new construction of a primary structure with associated site work.
Public Participation: This meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. If you plan to speak on a matter, you must register to speak by 3:00 p.m. on June 29, 2021 at:
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3kt74PGGTJKrE3hReXxpzQ. The meeting can also be accessed by calling 1-301-715-8592 (Webinar ID: 923 0782 9735). Standard calling charges may apply. The meeting will also be live streamed on YouTube at http://YouTube.com/cityofdurhamnc. Instructions to
participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard.
Durham County Board of County Commissioners
No items will be presented by the City-County Planning Department.
Durham Planning Commission
Tuesday, July 13, 2021, at 5:30 p.m.
The Durham City-County Planning Commission will hold virtual public hearings on July 13, 2021, at 5:30 p.m. to hear the following: Zoning Map Change
- Wine Outlet (Z1900039) is a request to change the zoning located at 4823 & 4827 Hopson Road from Office and Institutional (OI)/Commercial Neighborhood with a Development Plan (CN(D)) to Commercial Neighborhood with a Development Plan (CN(D)).
- 2104 and 2112 Ellis Road (Z2000042) is a request to change the zoning located at 2124 & 2112 Ellis Road from Residential Rural (RR) & Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20) to Commercial General with a Development Plan (CG(D)) and a proposed change of the Future Land Use Map designation from Research/Research Application to Commercial.
- 1908 Cedar Street (Z2100001) is a request to change the zoning located at 1908 Cedar Street from Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20) to Residential Urban – 5 (RU-5).
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. For information about the cases, contact [email protected]
or at 919-560-4137.
This meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. Register to speak at the hearing at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_oclhFY2BQeyizNwzIetegQ
(Webinar ID:920 2360 5948), at least 30 minutes before the meeting on the meeting date or by calling 1-301-715-8592 at least 15 minutes before the meeting start time; instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/3012/Public-Hearings-and-Notices
Notice under the Language Access Plan
Persons requiring language assistance to effectively participate in this event may contact the City-County Planning Department at 919-560-4137 to request interpretation and/or translation services as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo el Plan de Acceso al Idioma
Personas que requieran asistencia lingüística para participar efectivamente en este evento pueden comuníquense con el Departamento de Planificación de la Cuidad y el Condado al 919-560-4137. Para solicitar los servicios de interpretación y / o traducción tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Persons with disabilities may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in city government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice 919-560-4197, fax 560-4196, or [email protected], as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo la Ley sobre Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA, siglas en Ingles)
Personas con discapacidades pueden recibir asistencia para participar efectivamente en actividades del gobierno de la ciudad al comuníquense con el Coordinador de ADA al 919-560-4197, fax 560-4196 o [email protected], tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
How to Find More Information about Board and Commission Agendas:
The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for all City-County Boards and Commissions. See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
- Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):