City of Durham Closed for Independence Day
The City of Durham will be closed for the Independence Day holiday on Monday, July 4, 2022. Most City offices, including City Hall and all non-emergency City operations, will be closed to the public.
Planning Department Staff Unavailable on July 8, 2022
The Durham City-County Planning Department will be having a staff development retreat on Friday, July 8, 2022. Staff will return messages and emails on the following Monday. The Development Services Center will remain open during the normal hours with limited staff, although Planning staff will not be available.
This newsletter will be sent next week on Thursday, July 7th. If you have a meeting to publish, please allow for the earlier deadline.
Applicant-Sponsored Neighborhood Meeting
No applicant-sponsored neighborhood meetings are scheduled at this current time.
Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO)
There are two pending text amendments to the UDO that are still in process that have not yet been scheduled for Planning Commission or Governing Body review at this time, they are listed below:
- Planning Commission-Initiated Text Amendment is centered around the ways in which development can connect people: connections between streets, people, bicycles, and other forms of mobility
- Privately-Initiated Text Amendment is centered around simplifying the ordinance to allow for more affordable development to be built in Durham. This was developed and submitted by a group of practitioners from the private field that does not include staff.
If you are interested in potential amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance, or would like to comment on upcoming amendments, you can find more information at durham.mysocialpinpoint.com/growthmanagement/land-use-home/ .
Durham Boards and Commissions
Durham County Board of County Commissioners
The Board of County Commissioners will hold a meeting on July 11, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., 2nd floor, Commissioners' Meeting Room, Durham County Administration I, 200 E. Main Street.
No items will be presented by the City-County Planning Department.
Residents who wish to participate in meetings are encouraged to continue using the virtual option due to social distancing guidelines still in place inside the Board Chambers, located in the Durham County Administration Building I, 200 E. Main St. While social distancing will be established with seat arrangements, in-person attendees are reminded of the benefits of masking while in indoor spaces populated by others.
There is no sign-up sheet or request form to attend meetings, however, it is important to note that there are very limited seating options. The ability to attend the meeting will be based on first come/first serve. Seating priority will be given to County staff. A low-capacity overflow seating area is in the lobby on the second floor of Administration Building I. Individuals seated in the lobby can view the meeting on screens.Replays of the meeting are available on the Durham Television Network on Spectrum Channel 8, AT&T U-verse Channel 99, Google Fiber Channel 8, and Frontier Communications Channel 70. On-demand video may be watched once it is uploaded to the County's website.
Historic Preservation Commission
Tuesday, July 12, 2022, at 9:00 a.m.
Virtual Session The Durham Historic Preservation Commission will hold virtual public hearings on July 12, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. to consider the following in quasi-judicial hearings:Certificates of AppropriatenessSubstantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. Email [email protected] or call (919) 560-4137. Public Participation: This meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. If you plan to speak on a matter, you must register to speak by 3:00 p.m. on July 1, 2022, at: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NVlAXpoWQgWIc3FmWds3Zw
. The meeting can also be accessed by calling 1-301-715-8592 (Webinar ID:
868 4469 0327). Standard calling charges may apply. The meeting will also be live-streamed on YouTube at http://YouTube.com/cityofdurhamnc. Instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard.
Durham Planning Commission
Tuesday, July 12, 2022, at 5:30 p.m.
Virtual SessionThe Durham City-County Planning Commission will hold virtual public hearings on Tuesday, July 12, 2022, at 5:30 p.m. to hear the following:Zoning Map Change
The meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. Register to speak at the hearing at https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FOVyewCJTOu4b0jcyEo35w (Webinar ID:
- Courtyards at Doc Nichols (Z2000030) is a request to change the zoning from Residential Rural (RR), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B) to Planned Development Residential 2.242 (PDR 2.242), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B), located at the Southwest Quadrant at the intersection of Kinard Road and Doc Nichols Road, 1911 Panoramic Drive, 5007 Lazywood Lane, and 1706 Doc Nichols Road.
- Kemp Road Subdivision (Z2000040) is a request to change the zoning from Residential Rural (RR), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B) to Planned Development Residential 3.205 (PDR 3.205) and Residential Rural with a Text-Only Development Plan (RR(D)), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B). A Future Land Use Map change from Very Low Density Residential to Low Density Residential is associated with this request located at 4901, 4902, and 5501 Kemp Road, and 1862 Southview Road.
- Mockingbird Lane and Sherron Road (Z2100032) is a request to change the zoning from Residential Rural (RR) and Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B) to Planned Development Residential 5.908 (PDR 5.908), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B) located at 1408 Sherron Road, 1564 and 1524 Pasture Lane, and 1417, 1411, 1419, and 1421 Mockingbird Lane.
- Wendell at Crescent (Z2100033) is a request to change the zoning from Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20), Major Transportation Corridor I-40 (MTC I-40), and Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B) to Residential Compact with a Development Plan (RC(D)), Major Transportation Corridor I-40 (MTC I-40), and Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B), located at 5603 and 5607 Wendell Road, 5516, 5518, 5505, 5511, and 5517 Crescent Drive, and 5512, 5502, and 5420 Farrington Road.
- East Geer Residential (Z2100037) is a request to change the zoning from Planned Development Residential 3.360 (PDR 3.360), Commercial Neighborhood (CN), Residential Rural (RR), Major Transportation Corridor I-85, and Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B) to Residential Suburban-Multifamily with a Development Plan (RS-M(D)), Major Transportation Corridor I-85, and Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B (F/J-B), located at the 2100 block of East Geer Street, between 2142 and 2152 East Geer Street.
848 1904 0532) by 3:00 p.m. on the meeting date or by calling 1-301-715-8592 at least 15 minutes before the meeting start time; instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing.Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing for each case. For information about the cases, contact [email protected] or at 919.560.4137.
Notice under the Language Access Plan
Persons requiring language assistance to effectively participate in this event may contact the City-County Planning Department at (919) 560-4137 to request interpretation and/or translation services as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo el Plan de Acceso al Idioma
Personas que requieran asistencia lingüística para participar efectivamente en este evento pueden comuníquense con el Departamento de Planificación de la Cuidad y el Condado al (919) 560-4137. Para solicitar los servicios de interpretación y / o traducción tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Persons with disabilities may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in city government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice (919) 560-4197, fax (919) 560-4196, or [email protected], as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo la Ley sobre Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA, siglas en Ingles)
Personas con discapacidades pueden recibir asistencia para participar efectivamente en actividades del gobierno de la ciudad al comuníquense con el Coordinador de ADA al (919) 560-4197, fax (919) 560-4196 o [email protected], tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
How to Find More Information about Board and Commission Agendas:
The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for all City-County Boards and Commissions. See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
- Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):