What if I want to test backflows outside of Durham?
The City of Durham has a reciprocity agreement with Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville, Fayetteville, and NC Rural Water. If a certification or recertification certificate is obtained at any of these schools, the City of Durham will allow you to test in Durham after attending an 2 hour orientation. The same goes if you are originally certified in Durham and you wish to test at any of the above jurisdictions; they will accept your certificate from Durham. Keep in mind: you still have to seek approval from each municipality before you starting testing; they may need things like a copy of your certificate or calibration data.

Show All Answers

1. My meter has been locked by Cross Connection (bright colored laminated tag) for non-compliance. How do I get it unlocked?
2. What types of backflow conditions exist?
3. What is Backsiphonage?
4. What factors can cause backsiphonage?
5. What is backpressure?
6. What factors can cause backpressure?
7. What is a cross connection?
8. What is the most common form of a cross connection?
9. What is an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB)?
10. Will an Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker protect against backpressure?
11. What is continuous pressure?
12. Can an AVB be used under continuous pressure?
13. What is a Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker (HBVB)?
14. Can I tie my lawn irrigation/sprinkler system to my outside AVB or HBVB?
15. If I have an existing lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I need a backflow preventer?
16. If I have a new lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I have to have a separate irrigation meter?
17. When do I need to get a backflow permit? Do I also need a Plumbing Permit?
18. As a homeowner, can I install my own backflow preventer?
19. Do I need a plumbing permit to install a backflow preventer?
20. What if I have a commercial property or I just don’t feel comfortable doing the work myself, who can I hire?
21. How do I become a certified backflow tester in Durham?
22. Are re-certification classes every 2 years necessary?
23. Why can’t we have one universal State backflow testing form for each jurisdiction?
24. What if I want to test backflows outside of Durham?
25. Why do I have to be a properly licensed contractor to test backflows in Durham?
26. How often do I have to test my backflow preventer?
27. What if I have a temporary use that requires a backflow preventer assembly, do I have to get a permit, inspection, etc.?
28. How do I pay for CCC Class Enrollment, residential opt-in testing program enrollment, unlock trip charge fee, illegal connection citations, and any other associated fees with Cross Connection?
29. What does it take to be ASSE 1060-Certified for Freeze Protection Insulated Enclosures?
30. How do I get my meter unlocked?