Why do I have to be a properly licensed contractor to test backflows in Durham?

In accordance with the NC General Statues § 87-21, subsection (c) and 21 NCAC 50.0506 anyone who interrupts the water supply is required be properly licensed. When testing a backflow preventer one or both shut-off valves on the backflow preventer is required to be turned off during testing, therefore interrupting the water supply. North Carolina has a statewide licensing program for Plumbing, Utility, and Fire Protection Contractors. Part of the State licensing General Statue requirements is that these individuals are properly trained and certified to preform trouble shooting beyond the routine annual testing. By law, installation and repairs of backflow preventers can only be performed by a properly licensed person, carrying this requirement over to include testing allows the City of Durham to ensure quality work is carried over to each customer.

Show All Answers

1. My meter has been locked by Cross Connection (bright colored laminated tag) for non-compliance. How do I get it unlocked?
2. What types of backflow conditions exist?
3. What is Backsiphonage?
4. What factors can cause backsiphonage?
5. What is backpressure?
6. What factors can cause backpressure?
7. What is a cross connection?
8. What is the most common form of a cross connection?
9. What is an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB)?
10. Will an Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker protect against backpressure?
11. What is continuous pressure?
12. Can an AVB be used under continuous pressure?
13. What is a Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker (HBVB)?
14. Can I tie my lawn irrigation/sprinkler system to my outside AVB or HBVB?
15. If I have an existing lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I need a backflow preventer?
16. If I have a new lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I have to have a separate irrigation meter?
17. When do I need to get a backflow permit? Do I also need a Plumbing Permit?
18. As a homeowner, can I install my own backflow preventer?
19. Do I need a plumbing permit to install a backflow preventer?
20. What if I have a commercial property or I just don’t feel comfortable doing the work myself, who can I hire?
21. How do I become a certified backflow tester in Durham?
22. Are re-certification classes every 2 years necessary?
23. Why can’t we have one universal State backflow testing form for each jurisdiction?
24. What if I want to test backflows outside of Durham?
25. Why do I have to be a properly licensed contractor to test backflows in Durham?
26. How often do I have to test my backflow preventer?
27. What if I have a temporary use that requires a backflow preventer assembly, do I have to get a permit, inspection, etc.?
28. How do I pay for CCC Class Enrollment, residential opt-in testing program enrollment, unlock trip charge fee, illegal connection citations, and any other associated fees with Cross Connection?
29. What does it take to be ASSE 1060-Certified for Freeze Protection Insulated Enclosures?
30. How do I get my meter unlocked?